Hyperpigmentation (too much pigment) is a common problem and has various causes. Some causes are skin aging, pregnancy, use of medication, sun bed, menopause and sunbathing without sun protection (SPF) or hyperpigmentation in (acne) scars.
Pigment markings that appear on the upper layer of skin are extremely easy to remove using a pigment laser. Deeper pigment problems are sometimes harder to remove however. The Cosmelan product from Mesoestetics works extremely well and is an effective treatment to reduce pigmentation in all skin types. At Huid & laser kliniek Delft, your skin will be evaluated in advance to establish the treatment that suits you best.
Cosmelan is suitable for:
• Pigment markings (caused by excessive sun)
• Melasma (often developed during pregnancy)
• Pigment created after inflammation (post inflammatory hyperpigmentation)
• Light pigmentation markings (which a laser cannot detect well)
The treatment consists out of two parts. In the clinic, you’ll receive an intensive facemask with a long exposure time. After this you will use the home products for a few months. Thanks to the combination of the mask and the home products, you will see the pigment significantly reduced after one month already.
A melanocyte is a type of skin cell (pigment cell) that produces and delivers melanosomes
to the keratinocytes in the basal cell layer. In the basal cell layer, there is about 1 melanocyte per 10 keratinocytes. Our skin colour is mainly determined by the size and number of the pigment grains in the basal cells layer of the epidermis. The type of pigment eumelanin (black or brown pigment) or feomelanine (red or yellow pigment) also has an influence. The production of pigment increases after irradiation with ultraviolet light (UV-A and UV-B sunlight).
The Cosmelan 1 (mask) and Cosmelan 2 (home products) ingredients work on the different stages of pigment and work in synergy. The ingredients are of plant and chemical origin. Amalan forms the basis of the Cosmelan mask and has a direct effect on the subcutaneous process that forms pigment (melanin). It inhibits the tyrosinase (a basic enzyme in the melanin formation process). A number of other ingredients are kojic acid, phytic acid, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), arbutin (hydroquinone), titanium dioxide and retinyl palmitate (vitamin A species) that all block the enzyme tyrosinase.
In many cases the mask and the home products are used for the best result. In some cases the home products are already sufficient enough. The treatment of the mask always takes place in the morning. The skin is cleansed and approximately 75% of the mask is applied on the face. With this mask you go home. Depending on the skin type, the mask stays on the skin for 8 to 12 hours. Do not schedule any further appointments for this day!
Always after 48 hours a call is made, and 4 weeks thereafter an appointment is scheduled for further examination. At this meeting photographs are taken again and the course of the treatment is discussed. The remaining 25% of the mask is applied on the most disturbing spots to provide an extra boost. After 12 weeks there is another examination.
Through the working of active ingredients like fruit acids and vitamins A and C, the skin will renew itself, which may cause redness, the skin feeling tense, and flaking. These reactions are wanted and can continue to show for 4 to 6 weeks. During and after treatment it is of the utmost importance to use an anti-sunburn lotion!
Guidelines in advance of treatment
- Don’t use other intense products or medical lotions for at least 1 week preceding treatment.
- Treatment using the mask always takes place in the morning. The mask remains applied to the skin for another 8 to 12 hours.
- You will go home wearing the mask. Because of the yellow-brown colour of the mask it will be well visible, so you may want to use your own means of transportation.
- The treatment cannot be combined with other treatments involving de-pigmentation
Guidelines for after the treatment
- Wash off the mask with lukewarm water after the pre-arranged time has passed.
- After washing off the mask, the skin may be red, warm and burning.
- The day after treatment the skin needs to rest. It is only cleaned and hydra-vital K lotion as well as anti-sunburn lotion is applied.
- 2 Days after the mask has been removed, the client has to start applying the home-product Cosmelan 2. The Cosmelan 2 lotion has to work in for 10 minutes before the hydra-vital K lotion is applied.
- Unless otherwise advised, the Cosmelan 2 lotion has to be used 3 times a day.
- After approximately 1 week the skin will stop shedding, and this will locally transfer into flaking. Also, the burning and itching feeling will diminish.
- Do not use any scrubs or peelings.
- For 2 weeks after treatment, steam baths, sauna and swimming in warm water should be avoided.
- Treatment should not be interrupted because production of melanin is suppressed. When interruption of treatment becomes necessary, the skin-therapist should be consulted.
- You should STOP APPLYING LOTION when noticing that certain spots start to darken, irritate and get painful! When in doubt always consult the therapist!
General instructions for use of product
- Clean the skin with a tonic
- Apply the Cosmelan 2 lotion 2 times a day very lightly. Let it work in for 10 minutes. Use the home-product 2 times a day for a period of two months.
- When pigmentation has strongly diminished, reduce using the Cosmelan 2 lotion to 1 times a day and subsequently to a few times a week.
- Apply the hydrating lotion (Hydra K) on the skin to a maximum of 3 times a day.
- Use anti-sunburn lotion SPF 50 in the morning and afternoon. When staying inside all day long, this of course is not necessary.
- When all lotion has been taken up into the skin, make-up can be applied.
When in doubt about a skin-reaction, always consult the therapist.
What to expect?
Cosmelan provides a very effective treatment with good results. However, this treatment is often experienced as a demanding one. Through the working of active ingredients like fruit acids and vitamins A and C, the skin will renew itself, which may cause redness, the skin feeling tense and flaking. These side-effects are wanted and will most likely be experienced during the first 4 to 6 weeks. After this period, the skin-reactions will cool down and the skin will get accustomed to the lotion. Incorrect use of anti-sunburn lotion and prescripted products can cause a renewed pigmentation back up.
Everybody has free access to a skin-therapist. For the treatment of pigmentation spots, no medical referral is necessary, and an appointment with a skin-therapist can be made directly. For these cosmetic treatments, you cannot claim a refund from your health insurance.
(masker, cosmelan 2, melan creme, spf 130)
|Hydra tonic||€ 43|
|Hydra milk||€ 43|
|Cosmelan 2 creme (los)||€ 208|
|Melan recovery creme (los)||€ 70|
(masker, dermamelan, melan creme, spf 130)
|Dermamelan creme 30% sterker (los)||€ 260|
|Mesoestetic Intimate pakket||€ 675|
|Mesoestetic Intimate gel (los)||€ 100|
Meest gestelde vragen
Ik heb een donker huidtype, is dit product geschikt voor mijn huid?
Cosmelan kan ingezet worden voor alle huidtypen, dus ook voor de donkere huid
Hoelang duurt de behandeling?
De behandeling met Cosmelan duurt minimaal 6 maanden.
Mag ik de zon in gedurende de behandelperiode?
Je kunt wel gewoon buiten lopen maar echt gaan zonnen is niet verstandig. Gedurende het behandeltraject gebruik je een speciale bij behorende zonnebrandcrème die je meerdere keren per dag zal moeten aanbrengen. Zeker dus wanneer de zon schijnt.
Mag ik tussentijds de behandeling stoppen of stilzetten?
Nee dit mag niet, omdat met de producten de productie van melanine (het pigment) wordt onderdrukt. Wanneer je plotseling stopt kan dit juist heftiger terug komen.
Wanneer mag ik weer make-up aanbrengen?
In de folder die je mee krijgt staat een stappenplan voor het gebruik van de producten, nadat het stappenplan is uitgevoerd mag er make-up op de huid worden aangebracht.
Mag ik mijn eigen huidverzorgingsproducten na de behandeling weer gebruiken?
Nee, het gehele pakket van Cosmelan bevat alle producten die je op dat moment nodig hebt voor de huid.